Slovak Journal of Sport Science
Scientific journal covering Sport Science
STATUTE OF THE JOURNAL
1. The scientific journal titled Slovak Journal of Sport Science (SJSS) is a printed and electronic periodical published by the Department of Physical Education and Sport, The Faculty of Arts of Matej Bel University in Banská Bystrica in cooperation with the Slovak Conditioning Trainers Association (SAKT) residing at Tajovského 40, 974 01 Banská Bystrica, Slovak Republic.
2. Journal issues are published in English including Slovak abstracts; twice a year; in June and in December of the calendar year.
Profile and focus
1. The Slovak Journal of Sport Science is a peer-reviewed scientific journal.
2. The mission of the Slovak Journal of Sport Science is to be a modern periodical which presents information from the field of sport science and other related scholarly fields with the primary focus on a) sports educology, b) sports humanistics, and c) sports kinanthropology. Its aim is to provide researchers, experts, and also the public with the results and conclusions of contemporary applied research conducted both in Slovakia and abroad.
3. The journal publishes original works in the field of sports educology, humanistics, and kinanthropology, theory, methodology, research, practice and also reviews and up-to-date reports from international conferences, congresses, and symposia.
4. Works by university teachers and researcher workers can be published in the journal, but doctoral students as well as experts involved in practical physical education are also welcome to submit their articles.
5. The Editorial Board can decide to include a special appendix to the journal in order to present research works with a significant impact. Any such decision will be made by the Editorial Board.
Editorial Board of the journal
1. The Editorial Board is the managing body and expert guarantor of the Slovak Journal of Sport Science. It consists of a president, a vice-president, and other members of the Editorial Board. The Editorial Board is superior to the Scientific Board. The president of the Editorial Board can propose and remove members of the Editorial Board and the Scientific Board of the Slovak Journal of Sport Science. The Editorial Board is set up and led by the president of the journal. The members of the Editorial Board shall be listed on the journal website as well as in every issue of the journal.
2. The Editorial Board shall employ external members from domestic and foreign institutions, faculties, and institutions at least one month before every journal deadline.
3. The Editorial Board shall meet at least once before each issue is published.
4. The Editorial Board is responsible for the creation and the graphical form of the journal. It receives contributions and evaluates whether basic criteria have been met, forwards the contributions to reviewers, evaluates their reviews, and sets the order of the contributions in the journal. The final decision on acceptance or refusal of an article shall be made by the Editorial Board.
5. The president of the Editorial Board as well as the editor-in-chief and the Editorial Board shall be responsible for both scientific and ethical issues regarding the journal.
6. The members of the Editorial Board are allowed to request peer-reviews and all articles submitted to the editorial office.
7. The members of the Editorial Board shall propose measures intended to improve the overall quality of the journal.
8. Membership of the Editorial Board is unpaid.
Editorial Committee of the journal
1. The Editorial Committee shall be the executive body of the Slovak Journal of Sport Science. Members of the Editorial Board and the Editorial Committee are listed in Annex 1 of this Statute.
2. The Editorial Committee is responsible for creation of the journal, as well as its technical and graphical adjusting.
3. The executive editor communicates with the authors in the following matters: authorization, adjustment of articles based on reviews, and the fulfilment of other requirements necessary for an article to be published.
4. The Editorial Committee reserves the right to return articles which do not meet formal requirements to the authors for correction.
5. The editor-in-chief shall submit all accepted and reviewed articles to the president of the Editorial Board including all relevant reviews.
Scientific Board of the journal
1. The Editorial Board is the expert guarantor of the Slovak Journal of Sport Science.
2. The members of the Scientific Board shall be listed on the journal website as well as in every issue of the journal; it is also included in Annex 2 of this Statute.
3. The Scientific Board supervises and controls the level of scientific expertise as well as formal attributes of the submitted articles. Based on reviews from the reviewers, it proposes articles to be accepted and published in the Slovak Journal of Sport Science.
4. Before the final version of the journal issue is confirmed, the members of the Scientific Board shall be made aware of the submitted reviews.
5. The members of the Scientific Board are eligible to request the articles submitted to the editorial office at any given time.
6. The Scientific Board submits the final version of the journal issue to the president of the Editorial Board.
7. The Scientific Board shall propose measures intended to improve the overall quality of the journal.
8. Membership of the Scientific Board is unpaid.
1. The author shall submit an article created in compliance with the “Instructions for the authors” published on the website of the Slovak Journal of Sport Science, which are also included in Annex 3 of this Statute.
2. By submitting the article, the author accepts full responsibility for the violation of any laws as a consequence of publishing of their article including copyright law.
3. The author shall be responsible for the correct editing and any translations of their article.
4. Unsolicited articles will not be returned to authors.
5. Authors can send articles which meet the specified requirements to the following e-mail address: Zuzana.Pupisova@umb.sk
6. Deadlines for submission of articles will be listed at the journal website:
Issue 1 -- until March 30 of the relevant year
Issue 2 -- until October 30 of the relevant year
1. Before an article is submitted for the reviewing process, the Editorial Board shall evaluate whether the article meets the basic requirements for publication in the Slovak Journal of Sport Science. Articles which fail to meet formal, language, or stylistic requirements, or are irrelevant to the focus of the journal can be refused, required to be adjusted, or they can be forwarded to the reviewers.
2. After an article is forwarded to reviewers, a review is created. It is included in Annex 4 of this Statute. Based on the review, the Editorial Board will decide whether to accept the article for publication or refuse it. Reviewers are asked to create reviews by the Editorial Committee, which also determines the deadline for their submission; this deadline is usually 14 days after the reviewer receives the text.
3. Each article is reviewed by two independent reviewers and the reviewing process is anonymous.
4. The reviewer will properly support their opinion on whether the article reviewed should or should not be published. The opinion of the reviewer shall be binding on the Editorial Board. Based on the received reviews, the Editorial Board shall act as follows:
a) if the reviewer proposes that the article be published -- the article shall be accepted for publication,
b) if the reviewer proposes that the article be published without a second review -- the author will be asked to correct and adjust the article, which should be subsequently published,
c) if the reviewer proposes that the article be adjusted and submitted for a second review -- the author shall be asked to correct and adjust the article, and the article shall be subsequently re-reviewed by the original reviewer,
d) if the reviewer proposes that the article not be published -- the article shall be refused and will not be published.
5. The author shall be informed of the result of the review process and the decision of the Editorial Board via e-mail.
6. Contributions intended for the Reviews and Reports section shall be examined by selected members of the Editorial Board.
7. Reviewers will be provided with a certificate of participation in the review process by the Editorial Board based on a reviewer request included in the review.
8. The review of articles is unpaid.
1. Published articles are unpaid.
2. The journal is co-funded by the publishing organizations and other sources (grants, advertisement, foundations, funds, projects).
3. The Editorial Office reserves the right to require the author to provide a publishing fee, as agreed on in advance, after their article is accepted for publication. This payment will be used to help fund the printed version of the journal.
1. The president of the Editorial Board can terminate the publication of the journal. Following termination, the president shall submit a written notice to the Ministry of Culture of the Slovak Republic and to the ISSN National Agency.
2. The president of the Editorial Board may adjust and amend the Statute of the Slovak Journal of Sport Science.
3. The Statute shall enter into force on 30 June 2016.
Prof. PaedDr. Ľudmila Jančoková, CSc. doc. PaedDr. Martin Pupiš, PhD.
President of the SJSS Editorial Board President of SAKT
In Banská Bystrica, 27 June 2016
Annex 1 Editorial Board and Editorial Committee of the Slovak Journal of Sport Science.
Annex 2 Scientific Board of Slovak Journal of Sport Science
Annex 3 Instructions for the authors
Annex 4 Review